Image

Image

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Jaundice

The honeydew bird's nest recipe does not work on me. May be it is because I'm G6PD deficiency, not related to the recipe. When I was 35days old, my serum bilirubin level (Jaundice) still maintain at ~170.



Below is my jaundice record:

26-Apr (3days old) : 202umol/l
phototherapy for 1 day.

27-Apr (4days old) : 144umol/l
discharged

28-Apr (5days old) : 179umol/l

29-Apr(6days old) : 193umol/l

30-Apr (7days old) : 248umol/l
phototherapy for 1 day.

1-May (8days old) : 174umol/l
discharged

3-May (10days old) : 186umol/l

6-May(13days old) : 212umol/l
mommy stopped breastfeed for 2 days as 姐姐paediatrician advised mommy to do so. I also didn't pass motion for 2 days. Mommy was so worried this is due to formula milk. Luckily I had the bowel movement on the 3rd day. Mommy resumed to breastfeed after the SB level checked on 8-May.

8-May (15days old) : 172umol/l
SB level dropped after stopped breastfeeding.
Doctor advised mommy to check on the following to confirm there is no others abnormality that cause such a prolong jaundice.
a) Liver function test
b) Thyroid stimulating hormone
c) Blood test for hemoglobin level

Doctor personally took the blood for the test as it's not the same as normal SB level check (where the lab assistant will punch on my foot to collect blood sample). The required amount of blood is much more therefore doctor take from my hand. The blood is collected drop by drop when doctro put a needle into my hand, the needle is as big as what used for intravenous drip.

The blood test results came out all normal and doctor asked mommy not to worry as this is just normal new born jaundice, is not due to G6PD. Doctor said it should be fully recover by 1 month old as his 2 sons' also having prolong jaundice till 1 month.


After the blood test. Mommy didn't take any photo while the process as I'm crying hard.


29-May (35days old): 174umol/l
I still look yellow. Again, doctor advised to check for liver function test & urine test. He worried there might be something happened in within past 2 weeks although the last test results are ok. So, another round of collect blood sample....crying even harder :~(
Mommy has to collect my urine for the test. Unfortunately I just wet my diaper and mommy has to wait for about 1 hour to collect my urine.

Result came out everything ok. Then doctor asked mommy to stop breastfeeding for 24hrs to see whether the SB level will drop. Mommy told doctor she will stop for 2 days so that it will show more significant result and doctor agreed. Doctor said there is a substance in breast milk that will cause baby to have jaundice but it is not harmful. Therefore, breastfeeding baby's jaundice will recover much slow compare to non-breastfeeding baby.

1-Jun (38days old): 159umol/l
Follow up on jaundice level and it's at 159. Doctor said it's not dangerous at this level and all the tests show normal result therefore no need to worry. He predicted my jaundice should gone by 2 weeks time.

What if after 2 weeks I still look yellow? Mommy decided to continue stop breastfeeding until the jaundice totally go away. Now my eyes still look yellow. Doctor said we won't see the yellow if the level is around 50.
Sigh! Still long way to go.


see, mommy already stored the breastmilk for me. I'll resume to breastfeeding after my jaundice fully recover.



In the freezer.................................In the fridge, going to keep in freezer after 2days.





2 comments:

风行 *//Francine//* said...

oh, hope things will turn well soon. if there's anything i can help, pls do let me know ... e.g. driving .. grocery shopping etc :)

姐姐,哥哥 and 弟弟 said...

Just to share, last time my boy looked yellowish until ~2 to 3 mths. Hubby blamed it on the EBM from preconfinement that I kept. Even look yellowish, but he was ok health wise.